Friday 22 June 2012

Lukas Podolski has revealed Arsene Wenger was a big reason behind his decision to join Arsenal.



The Germany international, who is currently in action at Euro 2012, will complete his move to north London at the conclusion of the tournament after the Gunners recently agreed an £11million fee with FC Koln.

And Podolski is already eager to work under Wenger.

"He has been a very successful coach both in Europe and around the world," the 27-year-old told the official Arsenal Magazine.

"This definitely helped in making my decision. He speaks several languages, and German in particular, which is very helpful.

"We have spoken to each other on the telephone a few times, which was very good and also made my decision even easier."

Podolski also confirmed he spoke with compatriot Per Mertesacker before agreeing to move to Emirates Stadium.

"I speak to Per whenever we meet," he added.

"Per has mentioned things about the club's organisation, the training ground and the fans, and this has really helped.

"It might have influenced me to a certain extent, but in the end of course I took the decision to come here myself."

Of his move to the Premier League, he said: "I do think that the Bundesliga has done a lot of catching up in recent years and is no longer that far away from the highest level.

"But England still has the strongest and most attractive league in my opinion.

"The Premier League has very good stadiums, and the stronger clubs as a whole, and I'm sure I'm going to be involved in some exciting matches.

"I think I will adapt relatively quickly. I'm a player who plays in a similar style. They play fast in England, score lots of goals, there are tough battles.

"I enjoy this style of football, so from that point of view, I think I will become accustomed to it all in a fairly short time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment